Calico Beans

Suzanne and several others have requested my recipe (although I actually got it from my mom who got it from my aunt who probably got it from Betty Crocker) for Calico Beans. It may be weird but this is my favorite food. My mom made it all the time and would even make an extra batch so I could take some with me back to college when I was going to school in St. Paul. I've made it with or without the meat depending on whether or not it was the main dish or a side. So here it is!

Calico Beans
4-8 slices bacon, cut into small cubed pieces (omit for vegetarian or side)
1 lb ground beef (omit for vegetarian or side)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 can lima beans, drained
1 can butter or great northern beans, drained
1 can pork and beans, un-drained (omit for vegetarian)

Brown bacon, set aside. Brown beef with onion, drain. Add all ingredients to 9x13 pan and mix well. Bake for 45 min. at 350 degrees (325 if using a glass dish)
Enjoy!

You could really use any beans you'd like - the last time I made this I used three cans of an organic tri-bean blend instead of the kidney, lima and butter beans. You could also use your own soaked beans although I haven't done that yet. I suppose you would need about 1 1/2 cups each?? I'll let you know when I try that. I'm still getting the hang of soaking my own beans. Angry Chicken has been talking about that lately - she's very ambitious - but I haven't done much more than read her updates on it. Let me know if you try any interesting variations or have any bean soaking tips!!

2 comments:

Suzanne May 10, 2008  

I CAN'T WAIT to make these... I am craving them already. Thanks for posting this excellent recipe for all to see!

Anonymous May 10, 2008  

No cream of mushroom soup? I though Minnesotans used this in everything (ha ha). I think I will try make these.